This section addresses the hazards associated with column stability and, specifically, the proper use of anchor rods (anchor bolts) to ensure column stability. Inadequate anchor rod/bolt installation has been identified as a primary contributing factor to structural collapses.
- All columns must be anchored by a minimum of 4 anchor rods (anchor bolts). [29 CFR 1926.755(a)(1)]
- Each column anchor rod (anchor bolt) assembly, including the column-to-base plate weld and the column foundation, must be designed to [29 CFR 1926.755(a)(2)]:
- Resist a minimum eccentric gravity load of 300 pounds located 18 inches from the extreme outer face of the column in each direction at the top of the column shaft.
- Columns must be set on elements that adequately transfer the construction loads [29 CFR 1926.755(a)(3)]:
- Level finished floors
- Pre-grouted leveling plates
- Leveling nuts
- Shim packs
- All columns must be evaluated by a competent person to determine whether guying or bracing is needed; if guying or bracing is needed, it must be installed. [29 CFR 1926.755(a)(4)]
ANCHOR RODS (ANCHOR BOLTS)
- Approval by the project structural engineer of record is required before anchor rods (anchor bolts) can be [29 CFR 1926.755(b)(1)]:
- Before the erection of a column, the controlling contractor must provide written notification to the steel erector if there has been any [29 CFR 1926.755(b)(2)]:
- Modification of the anchor rods of that column
Shared from: Occupational Safety and Health Administration,
Steel Erection Bid Wizard
Join dozens of your peers that have revolutionized the way they estimate. Take your estimating department digital with Steel Erection Bid Wizard. Only software on the market made for Erectors by an Erector.
Steel Erection Bid Wizard is a fully functional Windows – based software package. Estimate your bids more quickly and easier than ever before.
Benefits Of The Steel Erection Bid Wizard
- Reduce the time it takes to estimate by 50% or more
- Tried & true production rates for labor, crane & weld time
- You can easily adjust production rates to fit your company
- More than 300 built-in tasks
- Ability to create your own tasks and add new categories
- Generate one-touch proposals
- Integrate with multiple takeoff software’s
- Peace of mind