Unloading & Shaking Out Columns
- Use a Crane and /or Forklift when unloading columns.
- Shake out columns in center of areas so you can minimize how much the crane has to boom up or boom down to get to the pile of columns.
Unloading Columns – can be done with a forklift or crane, depending on the job site if there is room, a forklift works well, if site is tight or you have the crane set up and can land the columns out into the center of the building to minimize picks, crane is better.
Shaking out Columns – if you are on a large project hopefully it is sequenced so columns are coming in for the sequenced areas only, in this case you will want to shake out all columns in center of sequenced area so you can minimize how much the crane has to boom up or boom down to get to the pile of columns.
If you are on a smaller project but can reach the entire project from one place with the crane, shake out all columns in center of project so you can minimize how much the crane has to boom up or boom down to get to the pile of columns.
If you are on a project that you will have to move crane multiple times shake out columns on the outside of building at about center to minimize how much the crane has to boom up or boom down to get to the pile of columns, once you have erected all columns in that area you can come with a forklift and move remaining columns to the next area, doing this keeps you from picking though the columns to find which ones go to which area of projects just put them all in one spot use what goes in that area and then with a forklift take the rest to next area.
- All projects will be different, but a variation of the above will work.
- Of course column sizes and weights have to be taken into consideration when shaking out columns and where they will be placed.
Steel Estimating Solutions
Steel Erection Bid Wizard
Join dozens of your peers that have revolutionized the way they estimate. Take your estimating department digital with Steel Erection Bid Wizard. Only software on the market made for Erectors by an Erector.
Steel Erection Bid Wizard is a fully functional Windows – based software package. Estimate your bids more quickly and easier than ever before.
Benefits of The Steel Erection Bid Wizard
- Reduce the time it takes to estimate by 50% or more
- Tried & true production rates for labor, crane & weld time
- You can easily adjust production rates to fit your company
- More than 300 built-in tasks
- Ability to create your own tasks and add new categories
- Generate one-touch proposals
- Integrate with multiple takeoff software’s
- Peace of mind