Unloading & Shaking Out Beams
- Use a Crane and /or Forklift when unloading beams.
- Make sure that when you unload beams that they are unloaded in the most optimal location to erect them.
- Have good solid dunnage to place beams on and verify that the lay-down is a firm area, properly graded, well drained and accessible.
- Once the beams are all standing, mark the beams centers and write the piece marks on top of the beams making sure you put all piece marks all on the same end.
Unloading Beams – can be done with a forklift or crane, depending on the job site if there is room, a forklift works well, if site is tight or you have the crane set up and can land the beams in the most optimal location to erect them, then crane is best. On larger projects where you have a raising gang that is erecting steel, it is better to unload with the forklift so you do not shut down the raising gang to unload trucks.
Shaking Out Beams – the lay-down area for beams is critical and you want to make sure that when you unload beams that they are unloaded in the most optimal location to erect them and that the lay-down area is firm, properly graded, well drained and accessible.
Have good solid dunnage to place beams on. Use crane and shake out hooks to stand the beams up, leave plenty of room between beams so a ironworker can walk though the beams and rig them. (if you are using a stanchion post system for fall protection you will need to leave additional space to put stanchion posts on the carrier beams)
Once the beams are all standing, mark the beams centers and write the piece marks on top of the beams making sure you put all piece marks on the same end of the beam pile so the ironworker does not have to walk to each end to know what the piece mark of each beam is.
Steel Estimating Solutions
Steel Erection Bid Wizard
Join dozens of your peers that have revolutionized the way they estimate. Take your estimating department digital with Steel Erection Bid Wizard. Only software on the market made for Erectors by an Erector.
Steel Erection Bid Wizard is a fully functional Windows – based software package. Estimate your bids more quickly and easier than ever before.
Benefits of The Steel Erection Bid Wizard
- Reduce the time it takes to estimate by 50% or more
- Tried & true production rates for labor, crane & weld time
- You can easily adjust production rates to fit your company
- More than 300 built-in tasks
- Ability to create your own tasks and add new categories
- Generate one-touch proposals
- Integrate with multiple takeoff software’s
- Peace of mind