Steel Erection Crew Sizes
There are basically 8 different crews a Steel Erector uses. Each will serve a different process in the Steel Erection activity. Having a crew of professional ironworkers that have the skill to perform the tasks involved in each crew is very helpful to a Steel Erector as they can slot a guy into any crew type.
Note: Project size will drive how these crews are organized. On a small project one crew will play the roll of many crew types, where on larger projects men will be designated to a particular crew.
- Shakeout Crew– this is typically a crew size of 2 to 4 men depending on job size. This crew will be in charge of unloading and shaking out steel to the correct locations.
- Raising Gang– this is typically a crew size of 4 to 8 men depending on job size. The raising gang is in charge of erecting the all the beams, columns, joist, joist girders and loading up all the miscellaneous steel and landing the deck.
- Plumb-Up Crew– this is typically a crew size of 2 to 4 men depending on job size. The plumb-up crew job is to make sure the building is plumb. Depending on job size and man power, the plumb-up crew will be made up out of the detail crew or the raising gang.
- Bolt-up Crew– this is typically a crew size of 2 to 6 men depending on job size. The bolt-up crew is responsible for putting in all the bolts and tightening the bolts to the specifications of the plans.
- Welding Crew– this is typically a crew size of 2 to 6 men depending on job size. The welding crew will do all the requried welding on project. IE… brace frames, moment welds, column splices, truss splices.
- Detail Crew– this is typically a crew size of 2 to 6 men depending on job size. The detail crew will install all the miscellaneous steel. They will also install safety cable system when a project requires it.
- Decking Crew– this is typically a crew size of 3 to 6 men depending on job size. The decking crew is responsible for laying all the deck and attaching per the plans.
- Stair Crew– this is typically a crew size of 3 to 6 men. The stair crew installs the stairs, landings and rails. Depending on job and man power this crew could be the raising gang or the detail crew.
Steel Estimating Solutions
PS… If you are looking to take your estimating process into the 21st century, Steel Estimating Solutions can be a great resource to help you make that happen. I have been doing digital takeoffs since 2001 and have developed a pricing tool (actually much more than that) called the Steel Erection Bid Wizard. I have helped over 260 Steel Erectors to make the transition and would love to help you as well. Give me a call anytime.
Steel Erection Bid Wizard
Join dozens of your peers that have revolutionized the way they estimate. Take your estimating department digital with Steel Erection Bid Wizard. Only software on the market made for Erectors by an Erector.
Steel Erection Bid Wizard is a fully functional Windows – based software package. Estimate your bids more quickly and easier than ever before.
Benefits of The Steel Erection Bid Wizard
- Reduce the time it takes to estimate by 50% or more
- Tried & true production rates for labor, crane & weld time
- You can easily adjust production rates to fit your company
- More than 300 built-in tasks
- Ability to create your own tasks and add new categories
- Generate one-touch proposals
- Integrate with multiple takeoff software’s
- Peace of mind
- Smart Fuel Calculator
- Weather Projections