Installing Miscellaneous Steel
Miscellaneous steel is a big part of steel erection it is an area that needs much attention as it is what can make or break a job as far as being profitable.
- There is many different types of miscellaneous steel packages, some projects are simple with not much miscellaneous steel in them while others will have tons of it.
- Placement of miscellaneous steel on structure to minimize how far ironworkers need to move the miscellaneous steel to install is important.
- Double checking layout before final securement, this will help in getting miscellaneous steel items installed the first time correctly.
- Always have the foreman be 3 to 4 steps ahead of miscellaneous steel crews.
- Always work at completing an area before going to the next, as moving back into an area after the crews have already left it, is money not needed to be spent.
- When GC or other crafts gives layout for miscellaneous steel it is good practice to have them initial plan saying they gave you the layout.
Steel Estimating Solutions
PS… If you are looking to take your estimating process into the 21st century, Steel Estimating Solutions can be a great resource to help you make that happen. I have been doing digital takeoffs since 2001 and have developed a pricing tool (actually much more than that) called the Steel Erection Bid Wizard. I have helped over 260 Steel Erectors to make the transition and would love to help you as well. Give me a call anytime.
Steel Erection Bid Wizard
Join dozens of your peers that have revolutionized the way they estimate. Take your estimating department digital with Steel Erection Bid Wizard. Only software on the market made for Erectors by an Erector.
Steel Erection Bid Wizard is a fully functional Windows – based software package. Estimate your bids more quickly and easier than ever before.
Benefits of The Steel Erection Bid Wizard
- Reduce the time it takes to estimate by 50% or more
- Tried & true production rates for labor, crane & weld time
- You can easily adjust production rates to fit your company
- More than 300 built-in tasks
- Ability to create your own tasks and add new categories
- Generate one-touch proposals
- Integrate with multiple takeoff software’s
- Peace of mind
- Smart Fuel Calculator
- Weather Projections